Open to all String Instruments and Piano
Application Deadline is November 10, 2021
2022 Competition Details:
Saturday afternoon, November 20, 2021
Opera San Jose Office
2149 Paragon Drive, San Jose 95131
First Prize $300 and an opportunity to perform with the Nova Vista Symphony
Second Prize $200
Third Prize $100
Competition Eligibility Rules:
- Age requirements: Must be 13 to 19 years of age on the date of the competition to qualify.
- The competition is open to strings and piano. COVID restrictions bar wind and brass instruments this year.
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required of all participants.
- Each candidate is to prepare a complete three or more movement concerto from the standard 18th-20th century orchestral repertoire or comparable piece for solo with orchestra. Adjudicators may
request to hear any portion(s) for the audition.
- All music selections are subject to prior approval by the Nova Vista Symphony Music Director.
- Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3 in C will be performed this season. All 2022 Young Artist Concerto Competition candidates are advised to select repertoire other than this.
- Contestants are expected to perform by memory.
- Each applicant must provide his/her own accompanist.
- A maximum of 25 entrants will be accepted, based upon the date and time the application is received by Nova Vista. All entrants will be notified of their application/audition status by November
- Each contestant is to pay a non-refundable $25 entrance fee through our PayPal link on the application form.
- Auditions will be approximately 10-15 minutes long.
- Schedule times will be assigned and contestants will be notified after the application
- Three copies of the composition must be provided, one for each judge.
- Winners will be notified of their status by email within one week of the competition.
- The first-place winner will perform the composition played in the competition with Nova Vista Symphony Orchestra in a regularly scheduled subscription concert.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Non-compliance with any of the rules may result in disqualification.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org